LAN was hired by Passaic County to adaptively reuse the historic Courthouse Annex building, which is part of the Passaic County Court Complex located in downtown Paterson, New Jersey. The building was originally built in 1899 as a US customs house and post office and was later turned over to Passaic County in 1936 which would use the building for administration.
The renovation focused on relocating several county departments including moving the existing Grand Jury Room, a Hearing room, and Child Services Probation offices into the Annex. The layout of the new space was designed to meet the New Jersey Court requirements. Once completed, the Passaic County Court Complex will be consolidated into one centrally located facility with functional court and office space.
The masonry Flemish style building has significant historic value and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as well as being sanctioned by the New Jersey Historic Preservation Office and Paterson Historical Preservation Commission. The renovated building will preserve and refurbish existing historic finishes, add new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineering services throughout, and a new elevator to meet ADA requirements. To restore part of the site’s historical context, the 1899 Hamilton Street and Ward Street entrances were incorporated into the new building by replicating solid white oak doors to match the original 1899 pattern.
Paterson, New Jersey
Public, Historic Preservation
Architecture, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Construction Admin